PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Aerodynamics
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2006, 11:19
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LD Max

If there is one thing I admire and applaud it is somebody why does their best to ensure that student pilots are not taught incorrect theory. In that context I will live with simplified and incomplete (because that is necessary in the practical business of a attaining a PPL) but incorrect no.

So please allow me to start by saying a sincere ‘Well done you’.

The trouble is, when thinking and writing alone, it is very easy to make mistakes oneself which can degrade the value of your (however very well intentioned) output. I think this has happened in your first post, I honestly hope you can show I am wrong.

When dealing with Q240 you state (not suggest by the way) that answer C is correct. This is despite the fact that it seems to me answer C includes a really classic silly intended to flush out those that jump to conclusions about what they have read as opposed to carefully checking what is actually written. (…my word don’t we all do that from time to time - as examiners are only too well aware)

My problem with answer C is that it talks of larger and lower Centres of Pressure. A centre of pressure according to my education is a point. If I am correct a point cannot have magnitude - only position. In which case two different ‘positions’ of anything cannot give rise to a force.

Turning to the general issue of how flat plate and symmetrical aerofoils generate lift (as well as ‘conventional’ ones when flying inverted) I was taught that consideration of the position of the stagnation point provided the complete explanation of how the Bernoulli ‘notion’ was of equal value to pilots when applied to these cases. Since I do not want to teach granny to suck eggs I will not post diagrams regarding this unless requested.

So my bottom line is please keep up the good work – but be careful with the detail.

JF