PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No new ways to get it wrong
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2006, 10:36
forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaguely related. Many years ago at a Sumatran jungle camp with a couple of Wessex parked outside, and the sun well over the yard-arm, the evening Brains Trust was in session. Aircraft control was the subject and I suggested that rudder control was the reverse of the ‘natural’ sense. My argument was, if you took someone who knew all about vehicles and ships, stuck him in an aircraft for the first time and asked him which leg he’d push to turn the nose to the right - he’d naturally say left leg. I was ridiculed, but years later I discovered that RFC aircraft were rigged just so. The problem was that the control wires had to cross the fuselage, left to right and right to left. In several accidents it was found that they’d been routed directly - to the wrong side of the rudder. Their Airships decided to simplify matters and adopt the ‘reverse’ sense for rudder control. The French continued with the ‘natural’ sense for many years - which resulted in more losses of French aircraft in UK, until everyone started to agree.