PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vanguard/Viscount(?) Crash Info
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2006, 08:48
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Vanguard/Viscount(?) Crash Info

When all else fails, try AH & N!

Have recently been going through some of my late mother's stuff, and was reminded of a vague-ish connection with an air crash, probably late 50s or early 60s. The son of a friend of mother's was the co-pilot/first officer, and was killed, as were all on board. Adding together bits and pieces from Mum's letters and my (very early) memories, I come up with the following "facts", none of which are 100%...

1. Mum's friend's son's name was Peter Gutteridge/Gutridge/Gutrich (and was the first person I ever remember seeing in airline uniform).

2. He was FO on a freighter, likely to have been Vanguard or Viscount - Mum refers to "Vickers" - could have been Viking I suppose, or she could have been wrong!

3. UK based, but the crash was in Europe, possibly Germany.

4. Only the crew were on board, and all were killed.

5. Some suggestion that the aircraft (in error or in desperation?) had tried to land on an "Autobahn" (that's the German possibility).

6. Date most probably somewhere between say 1957 and 1965 (very much guessing).

I've tried all the "usual suspects" on the net, crash data sites etc, even looking in the death certificate indexes but to no avail. Mother did have her eccentricities (God rest 'er), but I think there's a lot of truth somewhere in the above statements. Something certainly happened! And I'm curious to find out more...

Over to you AH & N!!