PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Qatar Airways A330 Engine Flameout
Old 7th Aug 2006, 17:37
outhouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pardon me for asking, but I was under the impression that modern engine design and the so called stringent certification requirements would identify what seems to be a serious failing in the engine design. The comment earlier in the thread enquiring if it was both engines reinforces the idea that possibly all is not well with the engines fitted to this type of aircraft. I understand that Qatar Airways have experienced a double engine failure and that this has happened on a number of occasions world wide, instances of single engine failures have reached double figures. Fortunately the auto start system seems to have worked. However one must ask, what about the occasion when a gremlin prevents the restart? Also if one has the two engine failure option, I presume that the Auto Start sequence and the response from the crew is a little more complicated than selecting a switch position, I also suspect some pressurized air is required to turn the starter? Possibly a RAT. So my question must be what are the odds of this happening and what is being done to prevent it happening.