PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Officer Training
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2006, 15:38
cockneyrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by browning
I want to become an officer in the regiment but want to go to the AFCO clued up with respect to what to expect and how it all works. I am also looking for information on what I need to know so that at the AFCO they don't delay my application in any way. Basically I was looking at going to Sandhurst but the RAF is more appealing. I would be grateful for any advice
You will need to do a Potential Regiment Officers Acquaintance Course (PROAC) at RAF Honington. The AFCO should try to get you loaded onto one of these, if they don't, ask to be sent on one. The aim of the course is similar to the Royal Marine Potential Officers Course although PROAC doesn't currently have the same "selection" role as POC (this might change in the next year or so). The PROAC will give you all the information you need about life in the RAF Regt and will point you in the right direction in ensuring you do the correct background reading prior to OASC.
The best thing to do is try to get a visit to an RAF Regt Sqn. The AFCO should be able to help arrange this. In essence, by time you get to OASC, you want to be able to go into the interview and talk about where the RAF Regt are based, where they train, what their role is in very broad terms, how they are structured in very broad terms (Sqns, Wgs etc). Also, if you can have a rough understanding of how you career is likely to develop (Eg, Basic Trg, Flt Cdr, GDT, Sqn Ops Offr, Instructor, Joint Posting, Staff tour, Promotion) it would demonstrate that you haven't just wandered in off of the street and thought "I fancy being a soldier in a blue uniform".
Your best port of call is the AFCO, they are there to help and will send you to OASC when they think you are ready. I don't know how old you are, however, if you are under 23 don't worry about rushing, the next JROC starts in Jan and you won't get through the system by then. If everything goes smoothly for you, the JROC after that starts towards the end of 2007 so you still have a bit of time to play with.
Talk to a pilot if you want, I've never got any sense out on one in the 10 years I have been in the RAF. You'll only end up looking on trying to stifle your giggles as they do a good impression of Goose in Top Gun "We turn this way, he turn that way, Maverick said where'd he go, I said where'd who go....." (Insert appropriate waving of hands to simulate air to air combat etc)