PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Dubai monthly expediture
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2006, 15:01
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the guys who realise that maids/nannies are people just like us trying to get ahead in life. They are not commodoties, they are not slaves, they are people, with families to support. I personally pay above the odds I think. I paid for her sponsorship (all up when you include getting this form stamped, and that thing signed) about 6,000 dhs, and then I pay her 1,500 dh's a month for 5 days a week work from 7am till 3pm, and 2 nights a month of babysitting (usually about 3-4 hrs). She lives with her daughter in a flat they share and pay for (her daughter also works as a nanny for another family), and she is very happy. She is happy, so we are happy. I pay to fly her home every summer to see her family, whereas all info here in Abu Dhabi says I only have to fly her home once every 2 years. Who here would like to only see their family once every 2 years. Not me?

Not overly religious but something in the bible says about treating others as you yourself would like to be treated. Well do that and I think you can't go too far wrong.