PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the culture at Cathay like?
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2006, 02:56
Freehills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hog tied
That alone should raise the eyebrows of anyone committing to a career here. That tidal wave on the horizon may not seem important now, but its coming! Flying the big turkey leg (747) is one of the easiest flying gigs I have had, but to watch some of these people here every flight is the proverbial mission to Mars.... they operate with such polish, I am continually amazed!

Oh, yeah... the fact that the subject of "checking and training" even comes up so often ought to tell you something. At most companies it is quite rare, probably only in passing, and only immediately before the rare training event. Let's see, does an FO (or capt for thet matter!) really need 2 RT's, 2PC's, a loft, and a three sector line check each year? Let's not forget about the FO command ex harassment sim thrown in for good measure, and perhaps the good deal crew up ad hoc sim. Man, what a great idea! And for the poor SO's there's even more fun to be had just getting to the show.
Think this is a fair post. Who is to say what is right or wrong, whether flying a big turkey leg of 400 people is an easy flying gig, or should be approached as if it a mission to Mars. The culture in CX has tradionally been to approach every flight as if it is a mission to mars, with polish and professionalism and attention to detail. Some may see this as a good thing, others may be irked by it and see it as anal - especially if from an easier going flying culture.

Non standard R/T may work fine. Depending on what argument you see more powerful - don't hassle me for being non-standard, it works, or, why not make the effort to use standard, it takes no more time effort?

Some is driven by HK aviation culture, not CX. HKCAD is defensive, and IMHO, has a culture of needing to show that the unique system (of being part of China, but following completely different aviation policies) is justified. So spend a lot of time justifying it.

To be honest, your general attitude to some of this will also impact your ability to enjoy living in HK. If you don't believe you should adapt to HK, but HK adapt to you, you will be an unhappy bunny of an expat.