PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Dubai monthly expediture
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2006, 22:23
Outta Heresoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And on the housemaid issue...

Schnowzer your perspective of life here in the PIT to Oblaaspot is spot on mate! It's nice to hear a realistic take on it every now and again.

To others in the budgeting discussion...
Regarding the housemaid, yes you will find some one "through an agency" for $200 a month, but you could probably scour the streets of some of our layover destinations and find many willing to do the job for much less, but come on guys, that really makes us no better than the companies we seem to bash so adimantly on these forums. These are real humans trying to better themselves, make a living, and in most cases send most of their earnings back home to their families to support them (children, brothers, sisters and parents in many cases). Perhaps not true "spending money" in a litteral sense. Quaff a few less beers or Cappuchinos if you have to and hand a few of those dollars over to the ones to whom several dollars makes a world of difference. Did I really just say that?...a few less beers?...

It's funny (not really, just a figure of speach) to see how poorly some treat their housemaids/domestic help, and at the same time complain about their own employer or "how bad they have it".
Most countries set a minimum wage around 800 Dhs if food and lodging are provided, and it increases if either of those are not. The average I have heard ranges from 1200dhs month without food (1000 with) but with the maids quarters provided, to 1800dhs+ and both food and room provided (with several years working with the same family and if they have proven themselves to be trustworthy and efficient).

Have a look at the back few pages of "Maids International" magazine to see what competition is out there.