PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Breitling Battery
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2006, 19:15
Cornish Jack

Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts
Funny ol' world innit?
Pay some ludricrous amount for a piece of ostentatious nonsense and then have to buy another watch to check the time while this horological wizardry is having its battery changed!! Mind you, the same sort of mindset inspires people to buy BMWs so it's common enough
At the last count I had some 17 or so watches of various types and makes ranging from Omega, Gucci and Tissot via Seiko and Citizen to Sekonda and 'interesting' Rolexes. I work, part-time in a clock and watch shop and do more battery changes than any other sort of transaction. We can also, for a charge, do a water resistance test. Sooooo ..... what would I buy if I was limited to one only? Hmmm .. difficult, but probably one of the Citizen Eco-Drive range - 5year guarantee etc. or a Seiko Kinetic. Why those? ... No battery changes needed - simple innit?
Water resistance testing?? Forget it. If you REALLY, REALLY can't manage to go swimming, showering, underwater basket-weaving or whatever WITHOUT taking off your precious testosterone substitute, GET A PROFESSIONAL DIVER'S watch!! They are the ONLY watches which should be DELIBERATELY taken underwater - they are designed for it. The others are tested at a given STATIC pressure only - quite different from the DYNAMIC pressures which a watch is subject to when swimming, diving etc.
On second thoughts, just ignore the foregoing - could be doing myself out of business!!