PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2006, 15:32
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe because it used to be Bristow's? Before he sold up and got into the cow-mattress business, that is.

I enjoyed reading that bit about working for change from within. I used to have that sort of fantasy myself, until I remembered to always wear a hat when out in the sun.

We used to say, 'Oh, if only those nice owners back in Florida knew what dis ol' debbil manager is up to here, our problems would be over!' So one of the supposed nice guys came out to sort out the mess left by some Botswana reject, when NOTHING changed. It turned out to be, just as that cynic SASless said here, all about money. Go figure!

All you have to do, if you really need crucifixion, is to stick to the letter of the Air Law. That can be good fun while it lasts. It usually won't be a manager selling you down the river but one of your fellow pilots looking for some Brownie points.

On the other hand, I have enjoyed, in a small way, seeing some of those opportunists get theirs. It could be too bad about their passengers, though.

On the whole, if you try to play the game straight there might well be a bit of change for the better, plus you will feel better about yourself. That helps no end when you are looking for another job.

The last time I was in that configuration, staring out the kitchen window at the contrails going so far over my head they seemed out of reach, a letter came fluttering over the transom telling of the messy demise of a guy who had sort of grabbed a seat off me. All I could think was, 'Well, I guess you were welcome to it after all!' I certainly wasn't going to get into a sordid bitch-fight over it in the first place and then finding out it came with a big helping of cumulo-granite, well....

I don't know how fast things are changing but it seems that people are becoming more aware of the downside to working in places like the Niger Delta, which can only be good from the workers' point of view.