PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Aerodynamics
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2006, 00:49
LD Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact is ,Pilots dont understand this theory to this level and are only trained(especially in FAA) to understand the practical principles of flight, not theory, as it is just too broad a subject to cover in detail.
Thanks for this fullrich.

As an instructor, I would like to ensure that I am teaching my students the correct thing rather than some "dumbed down" version of the truth. If pilot's don't understand the correct theory, it can only be because they haven't been taught it! Pilots are not dumb!

A practical example of why it is a good thing to know, (for example), that a wing develops negative pressure on the underside as well as topside, is if you have a dripping fuel drain on the ground. This can turn into a steady stream during flight as the fuel is sucked out by the negative pressure under the wing!

And of course inverted flight and symmetrical aerofoils are real too - which some of the FAA theories can't explain.

Of course, you are quite correct in that to pass the test "no correct answer" is simply not an option. I just wish the answers were all correct. For example the first question DOES have a correct answer - it's just not the one the FAA think it is.

Safe flying and thanks for your input.