PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do ATCs think of VFR
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2006, 22:13
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying VFR through a zone (say, Class D airspace) and not expecting to increase the ATCO's workload by not requiring separation from IFR traffic is naive. We all know that ATC will keep a close eye on that VFR spot in the middle of its IFR traffic and will actually provide separation regardless. Whenever I fly VFR , I never expect some sort of "right of way" through controlled airspace. Whenever I request VFR transit, I make sure I have listened out enough to have the mental "big picture" and I usually end my request with "...traffic permitting" - OK, it's not standard R/T! Also, except when crossing controlled airspace (obviously under radar control), I usually ask for Flight Information Service only so as to limit the extra ATC worlkoad.

Visits to ATC units should be mandatory for CPL holders. It allows to appreciate what mixing VFR with IFR traffic means for a fairly busy radar unit.

However, those who say that the level of priority should be fee-based are wrong in flight safety terms. With an increasing number of commercial flights routing, at least partly, through uncontrolled Class G airspace (Coventry and Doncaster spring to mind), having uncommunicado VFR traffic mixing it up with the big jets/turboprops would be a bad idea. After all, if VFR traffic had to pay for any type of ATC service (even Flight Information Service), most light aircraft pilots would probably not bother to talk to any other station than their departure/destination airfield. Does anybody believe that flight safety would be enhanced?

Cheers