PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loganair
Thread: Loganair
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2006, 15:39
Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

On speed on profile

You seem to miss the point. I have been there and done that and hence have learnt some valuable lessons along the way. Eight years after my first flying job, I am still paying back my flying loans. It was no different then to now in terms of being skint, getting very deep into debt and spending a decade or two to pay it all back. If at the time however, paying for a type rating was the only way in, then I would have done it. I needed the work. Whether that was responsible or not it didn't really matter to me. And that's the problem. You're never going to stop people with a dream to fly transport aircraft from spending money and getting debted upto the eyeballs to achieve their goals. You are never going to stop those who really want it from getting into more debt by paying for a rating, if that is the only way to get the job.

The difference here is that whether it's EasyJet or Loganair or whoever. The clock is not going to go backwards whilst newly qualified fATPLs continue to graduate out of the schools desperate to fly for a career. You see it on this site over and over again. People saying DON'T pay for type ratings. But guaranteed that someone has just handed over the money as this reply is posted.

If someone had offered me a job/career based on me signing a loan that was paid by said company over say 3 to 5 years, and as long as you didn't leave in that time it wouldn't really affect you and would leave you with thousands of hours on type and way up the seniority list, i'd have snapped their hand off to take it. Rather than grafting throught the old self-improver route and begging my way into where I am today.

Sure there are airlines out there that don't use this loan system yet, but for how long. Everyone is thinning down costs, trying to be leaner and meaner to meet targets and stay afloat. It's only a matter of time before they all conform.

ACA