PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KJFK VOR or GPS Rwy 13L / R ( Canarsie Approach )
Old 5th Aug 2006, 15:23
giorgino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Winterland
The runway is very hard to see before you start the turn. It looks like a road in a built up area and during the few times I have flown the approach I have never felt comfortable. I can't comment on the MAP as It's a while since I last flew it.

The first time I saw it, the Captain took control for the approach even though it was my sector - he told me that I should see one done proprly before trying one myself. Well, I certainly learned a lot! The aircraft was at 45 degrees AoB with every GPWS warning in the system going off as we lined up with the runway. When I got a chance to fly it for myself the first time, I left it in LNAV and let the autopilot fly it. No dramas whatsoever. This was in a Boeing - I should think an Airbus managed approach would do it even better.

What a rubbish approach. On classic case of the NIMBYs erroding flight safety to an unacceptable degree.
Dear Dan

Why did your captain let you fly that sector in the first place as it was evident that he would have taken control???
Strange world....

Best regards