PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmi (industrial action vote)
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2006, 12:33
Dr. Spin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimV
not new recruits drafted in in a panic by bmi management.
TimV, that simply will not happen, unless it is a prolonged stoppage. By prolonged I mean several weeks. To comply with the air operators certificate (AOC) any new recruits, even if they are experienced operators, will have to undergo a minimum syllabus of a sim check in accordance with the bmi standard operating procedures (SOP's) and line training (usually 20 flights) and a final line check (a minimum of 2 sectors, usually 4). This will take time to arrange and given that a high percentage of the 'training section' are also BALPA members they will be low on resources to do so.

The other option is to hire in a third party operator to cover flights but this is a) extremely expensive and b) not many third party operators would be willing to do so, especially if they have union recognition.

It is very difficult to get aircraft airborne with no one in the flight deck!

My ballot arrived in the post this morning, I've given my support in the appropriate box, and it has already been posted back.

The best way to avoid any stoppage is to give maximum support to your union IN FAVOUR of strike action and get everyone back to the table.