PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loganair
Thread: Loganair
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2006, 12:00
Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi all.

As an ex-Loganair SAAB/Twotter/BN2 man I agree with what Island Hopper says above. Another thing to consider is that the £12000 quoted does not cover the total sum of money invested for the SAAB type rating. I believe when I worked there, the total sum was approx £18,000 which included accomodation, food, expenses and wages during your type conversion etc.

I can't blame them for changing the scheme, it might actually filter out those wanabees who a: don't really want to live and work in Scotland, and b: have no intention of staying with Loganair beyond their ATPL issue (And before anyone asks, I was there for 5 years, ATPL issued in the first year). Every airline is suffering from similar problems, it's not just a Loganair issue, which is why the rules are changing. At the end of the day, no matter how romantically you want to look at things, Loganair is a business and as such, needs to make money. Reducing spiralling training costs in this manner was just the next logical step. Atleast this way the loan is paid back to you on a monthly basis. It's therefore only an issue if you decide to leave early. But then, that is your decision to make.

I enjoyed every minute of my time with Loganair. It's a great grounding for commercial, complex turbo-prop/EFIS/FMC and it certainly hones those all weather and decision-making skills! If you're serious about the company, don't mind working very hard and want to live in Scotland, then I don't see that you have a problem. If you want to get any job, anywhere and then leave to a more suitable location or jet job at first chance, then it'll cost you.

And to those of you who are dead 'against' paying for a type rating. Are you just going to sit back and remain unemployed whilst those who desperately want the work move in and take those jobs? I applaud you for your strength of character, but would remind you that it doesnt matter where in the world you are, there will always be someone ready and willing to pay for that rating, to get that job. Families, mortgages and food on the table will, for the majority always be the over-riding priority, rather than maintaining the noble notion that it just souldn't be done that way. I hate to sound patronising, but that is the way things are, which is why it will never go back to the good old days in terms of recruitment. Sorry.

Activating forward shields, ready for incoming attack!

ACA