PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the culture at Cathay like?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2006, 04:49
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ACMS
One of my pet hates is the yanks R/T, they do have rather a slack RT discipline, that works fine in the US but it doesn't cut it in Asia with up to 4 different nationalities in the flight deck talking to Tokyo control. Standard calls thanks.

...You're right. Some Japanese controller is gona get into a pronunciation argument when they have no clue on how to pronounce most english words themselves. Get a f-ing clue.

Where do you fly? ...Must belong to the "mandaitory" crowd. Brits and Aussies teaching Americans/Canadians how to speak english is like learning about sex from your parents. They might have been shagging since before you where born, but it certainly doesn't mean that they do it better.

Think about this logicaly. Most of the world has no problem understanding the American English. It is the most widely spoken version. Get used to it and get over it. Jumping on some guy because he says "point" instead of "decimal" is idiotic. It makes you sound like the ass that you probably are. Let me guess, you go down to the bar and talk about what a great pilot you are? Actually, I take that back; you probably stay in your room and read Vol2P2 so you can regurgitate useless information to the other crew members on your next flight.

It cracks me up when these "RT wizes" get pissed off at pilots who check in with "hello" or "goodmorning". It is called C-R-M; maybe you'll hear of it in the future when you decide to join the rest of the world in implementing a concept that real airlines adopted back in the eighties.

Here is a "mandatory" english lesson for you. In the States we would call people like you "book smart". You can spit out all sorts of useless crap. But when the fitt hits the shan, you are the type that will crash with the book in your lap.