PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair / other Low cost Turnover
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2006, 19:12
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard this week that 'a number' of FR pilots are coming to easyJet on the 737 fleet. I am not sure of the details but my source has been right thus far.

I also met our Chief Exec, Andy Harrison, in person this week at Gatwick. He was, as always, extremely pleasant and his appearance at 0600 in the crew room to chat to anyone and everyone he saw was both impressive and very welcome. He worked his way round all the briefing tables chatting to all and sundry and took hassle from both pilots and cabin crew alike! In the past he has been accompanied by his flight ops lackies who were there to act as 'babel fish' if any criticisms were issued. He was here on his own this time and to my mind did extremely well. He is increasingly a popular figure among the crews and is well thought of. In the course of discussions he was very open about the failings of the last year in terms of not starting mass recruiting until it was too late. He talked of pilot turnover being around 10%, but I can't remember what he said for cabin crew. He also fully accepted that increasing pilot retention through improved terms and conditions is the way to go and makes good business sense. My own view is that he has been a breath of fresh air, and I for one feel that he has delivered on his promises.

EasyJet is not perfect, but it is a whole lot better than most airlines and many times better than Ryanair to work for. That is not to knock the folk who are working there, but if you have a choice right now then you have no choice.