PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Fire on Ground
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2006, 17:42
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tee Emm - it is not THAT difficult! Most Tower controllers give you the wind as you are cleared for take-off? I feel we are making mountains out of molehills here.

As for
Perhaps therefore the clue is to include the final direction of stopping during the before take off safety brief.
- you mean you don't? I always ask my handling F/O after HIS/HER brief which way they EXPECT me to turn as well. At least then they think about it as they 'progress'.

In a former airline I flew with an excellent safety conscious Captain who even briefed the c/crew on the wind direction before take-off as well.

Paxboy has it in a nutshell - apart from what I hope is your natural desire to save lives, there is always 'the management' to think of. SOPs SOPs SOPs....................... If they are wrong, get them changed.

What is VITAL is to try to keep the fire away from the fuselage if you can. IIRC, BA's SOPs up to the tragic Manchester 737 accident were to vacate the runway if possible, and the unfortunate Captain followed those with the resultant loss of life, as it put the fire upwind. The SOPs changed. The Captain suffered badly psychologically.