PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The scene is set - incl Low Flying rules and Is there a 'cultural divide'?
Old 4th Aug 2006, 15:46
SASless

Received 557 Likes on 226 Posts
As I landed outside the Regional Office to pick up my executives....at the end of a cul-de-sac with no buildings near it....up slides a State Police car with the lights flashing. My immediate thought was it was off to the cells for me in that we had procrastinated in seeking permission for such landings (read that meaning we had never even considered asking....). The two Hiway Manoleum's approached the aircraft with radio in hand and I waved them to my door where upon I asked what I could do for them.

They quickly told me someone had shot at a fellow Trooper and could they charter my aircraft for a search. Alas, I had to tell them we were not an Air Taxi operator and were not authorized to do such things for hire. I did tell them to load up, strap in, and let's get cracking and there would be no charge, fee, nor expense incurred.

After a fruitless search....we landed back at the airport for fuel....walked around to the State Police Airplane hangar and had a cup of coffee. A short flight back to their car, a handshake, picked up the Executives and off to work.

We had a fine working relationship with the local Police from that point forward and did several community service flights looking for lost little ones and similar events.