PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do ATCs think of VFR
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2006, 07:21
Standard Noise
StandupfortheUlstermen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I'll admit that using the word 'commercial' was wrong. There, I said it, I'm not perfect. What annoyed me about chummy's first post was the way he admitted to engaging in unprofessional exchanges on the R/T but still expected to get exactly what he wanted. If his clearance through CAS (or a particular part of it) was refused on the grounds that the ATCOs (and therefore the airspace) were busy, then tying up the ATCO on the frequency with 'unprofessional' and therefore, presumably unnecessary exchanges on the R/T, he was only making it even more busy. If a pilot wants to hog the frequency with whinges whilst I or any other ATCO is busy, explain exactly why they should then be given clearance through CAS?
One of the conditions for Bristol to be given it's new airspace (thankfully later this month, at last) is that we make it accessible to ALL airspace users. Now while that is not much change in the status quo, it is a much larger area of CAS to deal with and the other users will not necessarily be asked to change their routings, rather that their traditional routings will now be in CAS.

That said, I work at a unit which is under contract to the airport it is based at, and that airports priority is to keep and improve service to it's commercial operators or rather, the airlines that carry the pax that pay the money etc etc. Now, while we do have training organisations on the airfield (one of which is well regarded and widely known in the industry), they are feeling the squeeze as our priority is to the airlines. You guys up in the big smoke and at MIL units might operate differently from that, but that ain't my problem.
The views I air on these forums are not the views of the organisation I work for, but are the views of many of my fellow ATCOs here at Bristol.

So if you feel annoyed by my posts, don't read them.