PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ Heli Pilots pay
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2006, 05:25
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not home much: fair enough. I am not overly impressed by a $100K NZD salary but it is larger than the usual in NZ. If you can command that, then good for you. It's got to be good for the NZ scene and sets a great precedent for the future. Unfortunately, given the fact that none of us know exactly what you do, where you work or even what sector of the industry pays that salary; means the rest of us are unable to set it as a standard for future wage negotiations.

Everyone should remember that $100,000 NZD only equals (a generous...)$61,900 USD, 69,900 CAD, $81,300 AUD and $32,800 GBP. These are all very average wages for pilots in those respective countries. It means that for a well trained and highly experienced pilot (like NHM: ex-Hevilift, mediums etc..) who returns or works in the NZ industry; $100K NZD should be starting figure to recompense these guys for their experience.

NZ is very fortunate to have such a vast and respected pool of talent that has largely been trained overseas. If these 4 - 10000hr pilots were overseas they would be paid well more than the sums mentioned above.

Additionally, from conversations with colleagues employed on the Westpac BK's, I am told you will not be starting on $100K. More like $75K NZD.
I don't know about OT but if I speculated that OT is paid at $350 a day that would mean an additional 71 shifts a year. That is an average of what SAR/EMS operators pay elsewhere and to earn that amount would require a total 3000hrs/year of duty @ 12hrs a shift. Your 9 - 5 worker only clocks up 2000hrs a year. It's a lot of long days at work watching Discovery channel

No wonder we suffer AID's.