PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmi (industrial action vote)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2006, 22:51
Looker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some more interesting thoughts from our beloved leaders

I do not believe that any First Officer can possibly feel sufficiently aggrieved to vote for strike action. I am concerned that you might fall prey to the wishes of the broader pilot community to give the management a bloody nose. Be aware that many of those who might be pressing you vote yes have grievances which stretch back a long way before your time.
Whilst the sector pay fiasco has impinged less on the FOs than Captains due to the lesser amount of sector pay they receive it would be fair to say that most FOs aspire to the LHS and as such they have a vested interest in ensuring that their future terms and conditions are protected. Contrary to what TB asserts by my calculations FOs are worse off to the tune of £1372 pa net, assuming the IR edicts are implemented. The Company has given no guarantee to continue underwriting sector pay beyond this year

Finally, if the majority vote is yes a strike is inevitable, there is no more this year. Therefore I would appreciate those who do not support the withdrawal of labour let us know as soon as possible so that we can plan for the strike and at least limit the disruption to our hard won customers.
I'm sure that a more in depth search for the necessary funds will produce a positive result after the ballot result is known.

Non BALPA members could be in a potentially difficult position if a strike is called. I'm sure many would be reticent to break ranks and report for work yet they will not have the protection union membership affords if they don't report - time to join up guys?

Last edited by Looker; 3rd Aug 2006 at 23:02.