PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old & Modular
Thread: Old & Modular
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2006, 12:42
boogie-nicey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt this will have any impact on the Armed Services. They can claim (and quite righfully in my mind) that they don't desire but need only the 'optimum'. Employment law or no employment law.

However what gets me about employment law relating to the issue of age is that people want it to change just so long as it includes them in the recruitment 'net'. Would they also be comfortable seeing other employment laws allowing overseas crew to openly apply for UK and/or European jobs? Would you like to see yet more people who wish to caught in the recruitment 'net' by insisting that all female pilots be allowed excessive maternity leave as and when they need it or for the right to work no further than 30 miles from their home ..... Where does it all end.

I agree I resent the pathetic age-ism demonstrated by the airline industry as it seems so short sighted and unfair especially when most of the recruiting/training Captains are themselves no spring chickens yet feel enpowered to tell others what they wouldn't wish to hear themselves.

It was even worse before the LCC turned up with 'quick fill' recruitment tendencies and not the long drawn out process of years ago dominated by the legacy carriers. The long term solution to this is not in laws (easily circumnavigated) but the extra dynamic and spritey footstep of the industry now that we have the Ryanair and Easyjets in the market. Nowhere near perfect and the above mentioned 2 have significant pitfalls but at least there's something there and some opportunity.