PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to the Middle East
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2006, 11:41
cavortingcheetah
Está servira para distraerle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way things are going out there you might just want to remember that you will almost certainly be taken for British or American, neither is going to be the flavour of the month for quite a while in the ME. (No further comment on that score!)
If I were you; I'd learn the Arabic for 'I am an Australian here to visit your beautiful country.'
I have had no trouble voyaging those parts as a South African and it helps in the bazaars if you pretend not to speak English. Cutlivate a thick Russian accent and mutter, 'borscht, vodka, da svedanya, nyet, nevsky prospekt' or similar quite quickly in sotto voce tones. Most bazaar stall owners do not speak Russian; if you meet one that does, why; just pretend to be.. Hungarian?!!
Of course it is possible that most stall holders don't understand Australian either.
You might want to consult The Sydney Bulletin of 26 April, 1975, where you will find such gems as:
'Nodding the nut for swy and one', which means 'pleading guilty and being sentenced to a term of two years with remission for one year for good behaviour.'
Strewth cobber!