PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2006, 21:58
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willi B
Hi,
Re your point on “optimism and faith in the ability of gallant English Officers” – I am surprised that some on this thread who are serving or who have served have not responded to you on this!; personally, I can think of several well publicized actions in the Falklands War (not that long ago) where self sacrifice and plain old fashioned gallantry were displayed and of course the team on board ZD576 had not been working just for the money – whatever, sometimes the most humble of fellows can rise to the occasion and it was to anyone with information that I appealed to – a plea, if you like, to do the right thing.
I did not want to debate whether or not anyone should come forward – I was asking for them to – therefore I don’t understand why you are putting such a negative point – if someone responds, great.
You are not the only one to state clearly just how hard it is to “whistle blow”, you are quite correct, but to all of you I ask, on an issue such as this, if you so fear the system (that you serve) then what does this tell you about that system?
Now the explanation you asked for:
There were well known differences of opinion between elements of the security service with respect to NI – particularly between MI5 and MI6;
Many Westminster politicians (right up to and including the PM) had made public comments showing a desire to wash their hands of NI itself (as opposed to just the security problem);
MI6 had been the facilitators of secret talks with the IRA that had been going on for months before the crash:
The team on board ZD576 were planning a much more aggressive campaign believing that a military solution was possible and had they got to Ft George they would have either actioned their plans (wrecking the peace process) or would have had to have been over ruled by the politicians (which would have been very controversial and acrimonious) – THEY MUST HAVE BEEN AWARE OF THE POLITICAL WILL FOR THE PEACE PROCESS AND PROBABLY HAD VIBES FROM THEIR SUPERIORS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE SERVICES THAT THE PATH THEY WERE TAKING WAS NOT WANTED BUT THEY FOLLOWED THEIR CONSCIENCE NEVERTHELESS – they did not capitulate to terrorism, they did not abandon the British people in NI;
With the crash (of what subsequent history has shown to be a very reliable type of helicopter crewed by most able and experienced pilots in favourable met conditions for the basic low level ferry flight) the military option was off the table and the peace process continued;
The ceasefire was announced about a month after the crash.
I hope that this perspective helps clear up your first point too.