PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any advice would be great
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2006, 17:49
Professor Plum

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
I've graduated now, but know people that have done all the pathways.

Not sure what you mean when you ask is the course split between the two pathways. The basic layout is...

1st yr: the same for everyone.
2nd yr: Pilot foundation degree people do ATPLs and CPL flying after. Management foundation people do management type units (with BSc students) then work placements. Management BSC students do management units all year with the foundation degree students. No work placement.

At this point, Management Foundation degree students can leave with their foundation degree, or progress to the 3rd year of the BSc via a 8 week top - up course during the summer. Total time to get BSc degree - 3 yrs.

Pilot foundation degree students can leave with their foundation degree, or go for the BSc. Pilot foundation degree students CANNOT progress via the top course, and have to then go on to year two of the BSc course to get the degree. Total time to get BSc - 4 years, (but you get cheap ATPL theory + student loan for beer money).

BSc students who havent gone via a foundation degree, can simply do year three and graduate with the BSc Aviation Management.

You dont have to decide on exactly what route you want to take until the end of the first year, (or part time equivalent). the above scales are full time. part time takes roughly twice as long, but you can progress at your own speed.

Hope that clears up the course structure 'cos it a hard concept to get your head around.

Guest speakers:

yes there are some. these vary depending on what unit youre studying at the time. They've included people who work for aviation connsultancy companies regarding heathrow T5, and also possible locations for future airports. There have been airline pilots also. If they get guest speakers in, they're usually lectures worth going to.

Trips have included London City Airport. Heathrow T5, and Frankfurt Hahn and RAF Cosford (i think).

The everyday lecturers are a mix. They include people from the CAA (part time lecturers),ex BA middle management types, ex cabin crew, people with MBA's etc.

Some are very good, some are pants. Lecture notes are available for download on the uni network, so i never bothered going to crap lecturers lectures, and downloaded the notes. If your part time, and have difficulty attending, its therefore possible to catch up in your own time.

As for books, Rigas Doganis writes most of the good ones. there are a number of business/finance books used too, but experts from those particular fields write those books.

Is the open day a department specific open day or just a general "london met" open day? The uni does hundreds of courses, so if its a uni - wide open day, you may not have all of you questions answered. I'd advise calling the department to arrange a chat/look around the moorgate/tower hill buildings (which may or may not be covered on any uni - wide tour).