PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to the Middle East
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2006, 17:01
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Annie_o
Hey thankyou so much for your replies. I' am just very curious to find out how CC are treated over in countires such as Jordan and Kuwait. Do you guys as western women feel safe walking around the streets? Sorry if I sound really vague, its just that ive never been to the Middle East, and will be going very soon!!

Thanks guys XX
Annie I cannot speak for Kwait but I lived in Jordan for about 2 years, and I absolutely LOVED it. Amman is a very clean and relaxed city, you'll see a mix of conservative women (especially in certain areas of the city) but then you'll see, at the same time, girls dressed in mini-skirts, especially if you take a walk (or go for a yummy dinner) in the "posh" areas like Shmeisani or Abdoun. I used to walk on my own around the University area even after midnight and never had a problem.

Do not worry about covering up, it's not required, unless you decide you want to visit one of their mosques (the new king Abdullah mosque in Abdali and the old king Hussein mosque downtown, near the roman theatre, are really worth a visit!!)

As for food hygiene bottled water is always better than tap water, although tap water is safe in some areas. As as for food, it's gorgeous but some places exaggerate a bit with spices that could upset your tummy! so it's better not to have shish kebab every single day!

If you want to move around you can use the yellow taxies, they are very, very cheap and they take you anywhere you want and are safe and more comfortable than those old diesel VW mini-buses! White taxies only work on specific routes (like buses) but are cheaper and you can usually get them from Abdali.

Crew are treated very well, tourists in general are treated well, you'll see what a nice population Jordanians are. It's not unusual to see people opening their houses for you and offer you TONS of food......and that cardamom coffee which is as strong as a quadruple espresso!!!

I am sure you'll have a great time, I deeply miss Jordan and I go back at least once a year. If you need any advice on things to see/what to do I can help you, I know Amman very well!