PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile phone signal interference... all lies??
Old 2nd Aug 2006, 14:16
derekl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filling Stations and Cellphones.

Urban myth alert: so, if a cellphone (max TX power 500mW) can ignite petrol vapour, how come the cellular base station (TX power 50W) whose antennae are housed in the "tombstone" sign on the forecourt doesn't ignite them?
Shell filling stations in the UK frequently house T-mobile base stations. Also, there is a 150W 3G O2 station on the pavement (3 metres from the pumps) beside another I know of.
Back to the subject: much is made of the "dit-a-dit-a-dit" noises heard in audio frequency equipment from GSM phones -- this does not mean there is high-level RF interference.
I find it hard to believe that a cellphone operating on a maximum of 500mW TX power at 900MHz or above would interfere with airband equipment operating at a much LOWER frequency (VHF airband). Harmonic interference is produced on upward multiples of the fundamental frequency in use. I regularly use both airband and amateur radio equipment in close proximity to cellphones (OK, OK, I'm on the ground ;-) and have seen no cross-interference.