PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degree, no degree?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2006, 13:20
Eldon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Earning Money vs. Making Money

My story:

After high school I went on to earn two degrees from Daniel Webster College...one through the fixed wing aviation side of things and one through the business program.

I then 'applied' the business degree to getting a suit and tie job, sitting in an office, earning money in San Francisco so I could pay for my helicopter add-on ratings.

Promptly after earning instructor status I quit the suit and tie gig and began my helicopter career...

5 years later...

"Business" is calling again...specifically investing...I'm MAKING (not earning) more money in single deals than I have for the 5 years COMBINED as a pilot.

To sum it up...flying for fun is a lot more fun than flying for work.

Also...this is my opinion...looking back in hindsight...don't bother with college...learn what you NEED...not what some college forces you to take in order to receive a piece of paper that just collects dust. (this is not to say colleges do not offer SOME useful courses...but to sit through 4+ years of school...limited value)

PM me if you want to talk more about this...flying, life, happiness, and the pursuit of wealth