PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Nobody Likes RAF Police
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2006, 11:06
Iwasacopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doobs
I am currently a serving RAF copper. I have got to say that I welcome the stories (good or bad) about my 'colleagues'. I have heard most of them before, but it still makes me laugh. I have been guilty, in my younger days of service, of being 'over enthusiastic' but have since grown out of it.

If you cant laugh at yourself then who can you laugh at ??

Love us, hate us......Who cares !!

Enjoy
Totally agree Doobs - I've laughed myself silly at some of the stories that have been posted.

As my name implies I was in the RAF Police (12 years). I met loads of good people (from all trades - including aircrew and RAFP) and a fair number of complete wasters (again from all trades - including aircrew and RAFP)! That's just life.

Having said that, Laar - don't know where you get your gen from mate regarding the (non-existant) air threat in Iraq/Afghanistan. There is a threat to aircraft operating there - quite a strong threat as well! How do I know? Lots of reasons - but the one that can be posted here is the article in Solider magazine a few months ago which described the VC-10 moves into and from Basrah. Aircraft has to take off and land at night, all passengers wear body armour and helmets during landing, no lights on etc. Sounds like a reasonable air threat to me! You could argue that there's a greater threat to troops on the ground - given the number of solider deaths there have been I would agree with that line. But I don't believe you can dismiss the air threat because of the lack of an opposing Air Force!!!

Personally speaking I've got a lot of respect for the aircrew boys and girls. If their aircraft is going down and they have got a choice between bailing out and watch the aircraft crash into a village or stay in the aircraft, miss the village and die themselves...they all chose the latter. Major respect in my book

However, do some aircrew chaps have an attitude problem? Course they do! Just like RAFP, RAF Regt, Chefs, drivers etc. etc. etc. Like I said - part of life.