PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile phone signal interference... all lies??
Old 2nd Aug 2006, 10:44
RMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who has been involved in aircraft certification I cannot help but cringe at the 411a test.
It is not what we call a "statistically significant" test. Unfortunately this guy falls into the "unconcious incompetent" category when it comes to detailed engineering issues. Often recognised species who make bold black and white statements which contrdict industry accepted standards.
"Hey I flew under a CB anvil once and nothing happened....whats all this trash about it being dangerous" Very good ...highly scientific thanks for your input should be the stock reply to such people.
There are more people out there who have had radio interference from ONE mobile phone than those who have not.
The fact is aircraft certification demands rigourous testing at the extreme end of the spectrum.
I cannot give all the details here as I was involved with an "interested party" at the time but there has been at least one occasion where mobile phones were STRONGLY SUSPECTED to have been a primary factor in a serious accident.
Basic outline
Eastern airport ....very bad weather....aircraft went around and Captain made the standard early call to punters telling them what was going on, don't worry, and that they were diverting to XYZ airport.
Lots of punters ALL AT THE SAME TIME (ie extreme case) made calls to their pick ups , families business etc (all traced and time marked during the accident investigation) telling them they would be late, needed taxis ordering from new airport etc.
It is true that it was never conclusively proven that this spike in mobile use was the cause of the aircraft's significant heading deviation (and that is how interested parties probably managed to keep it out of the accident report). More than 60 mobile phones were found switched on all over the mountain side (a lot more had the batteries dettached but were registered as making calls prior to impact).
A rather lighter incident was the guy on a hot Summers day (above flashpoint) at the petrol station was filling up his car with mobile phone (which was in the pocket nearest the filler point) when someone rang him.
This ignited the fuel vapours and seriously burnt his gonads....checkout the "no mobile phone use" signs at garages these days.
But hey no doubt someone has had cigarette whilst filling up...so it must be safe.