PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 2
Thread: Ryanair - 2
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2006, 08:56
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kalium Chloride
While no customers have yet been formally signed to serve the airport, [Don Quijote marketing director] Rafael Echevarne says that discussions have been held with carriers including Irish budget airline Ryanair.
“Low-cost carriers are going to be our main target,” he states. “Airlines in major alliances are still going to go to Madrid Barajas.”
I can see that Don Quijote would be a more obvious choice for Ryanair than Barajas, but I believe it's not due to open until mid-2007 at the earliest and there seems to be a suggestion (from other posters here) that Ryanair would be starting Madrid services with effect from October 2006.

Now I could certainly see Ryanair starting service from Barajas and then noisily stomping off to Don Quijote in a couple of years pretending to be appalled that landing fees have gone up after their introductory period (see also: BHX, SNN,...) but I'm not aware of any short-term alternatives to Barajas (unless Quatro Vientos???) if they want to start Madrid services in October.