PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prestwick: Controllers' bomb flights unease
Old 2nd Aug 2006, 04:30
rab-k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by off watch
I find it depressing that you & one or two others feel uneasy about these flights. Is it because they are going to Israel, because they are carrying munitions through a civil airport or because they are in UK airspace?
Originally Posted by rab-k
- don't feel particularly comfortable about giving a load of ordnance safe, orderly and expeditious handling on its way to perhaps being used to blow some women and kids to bits who just so happened to be in the wrong place, if you can indeed call their own homes the "wrong place", at the wrong time

- Sure, such flights go on all the time and I have no problem with the use of such weapons against 'military' targets. However, when I read/hear about incidents like Qana, I can't help but wonder if the bombs used were on those flights.

- Again, I have no problem with legitimate 'military' targets, but soft civilian targets, whatever the excuse, are unacceptable - on both sides!

- If the IDF want to use a kind of 'scorched-earth' policy to create a 'buffer zone', cleansed of its resident civilian population amongst which Hezbo' guerrillas could operate, then there ain't a great deal I can do about it. But it doesn't mean that I enjoy, in my own insignificant and indirect way, feeling a part of that process.

- Having seen the images on TV and having formed an opinion on a subject independent of and not connected in any way to my job, then to be told that by the way, have you seen the XYZ123, check out the cargo on the FPL and the destination, then of course my already formed opinion will affect how I feel.
Sorry to quote myself repeatedly, but it saves having to type the same old stuff all over again. Hope that this goes some way to answering your question. It is principally the weapon's seemingly all too often indiscriminate end-use that makes me feel uneasy. NOT per se who is using them.

Originally Posted by off watch
I am deeply saddened that once again, this Government has given in to the vocal minority - how easily we forget our friends !
As for not forgetting friends, downwindabeam's "5 cents" set it out pretty clearly - true friends do not "play it clever", or as I would say dupe and manipulate, in order to push their friends into adopting a position they'd perhaps, if Foreign Office sources are to be believed, prefer not to be in!

PS London Mil - brush -

Last edited by rab-k; 2nd Aug 2006 at 06:56.