PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ Heli Pilots pay
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2006, 22:50
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say that I have enjoyed all the comments so far. COB, Big Mikes and Feelerup's comments are right on the money. The comment about wages in general being low in NZ are very accurate. With a half decent house starting at $350K in Auckland and not far off elsewhere; a lot of guys like myself who have been struggling to get the experience overseas have left NZ and come back to a country we can no longer afford. Even a coffee starts at 50% more than what you pay in the US...

If you are looking to return to NZ and hoping to buy a bit of land and still dream of a batch at the beach, then you better do your homework before heading back. Wages are stunted in relation to the cost of living, housing and fuel and consumer goods and I think the average man in NZ (esp. Auckland) needs a pay raise of 30%. Inflation is running at 4% and how many pilots working in NZ have had a pay raise to keep their wage inline with inflation?

The Australian market is a better working environment, its a shame the flying is not so entertaining as NZ and the crays harder to find!