PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reds exit display
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2006, 21:00
gpn01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry NOTAM useage

Fair enough - Another example of the problem with the web-based AIS system. When you manage to login (I've just tried several times to no avail, even though I've just reregistered with a new login and received a response to say that I'm now registered - which raises the other question of why does one have to register in order to see safety information? but that's another issue) then the whole setup is very "going from A to B" oriented. It doesn't consider that gliders, which use the energy lines provided by nature and not those drawn on maps by the CAA, generally don't want to go from A to B (if we did, we'd fit engines or buy a bus ticket) and that 'A' and 'B' probably don't have ICAO designation anyway.

The AIS system can also lead to things being missed - citing the BGA's helpful document on how to use the AIS site "If you get rid of Misc you will NOT get Nav Warnings such as TRA’s". So, whereas in the 'old' days where you'd work your way down the Country looking at the printed NOTAM list for the part of the country of interest, you can now inadvertantly miss important notes at the click of a button. That's if you manage to successfully navigate around the number of web errors generated by the site.

Rant over

PS: The final indignity! I've just managed to login, did a UK Narrow Route Briefing from EGSC (Cambridge) to EGSP (Peterborough Conington) for 28th July between 1200 - 1800, with a route width of 60nm, including misc notices (i.e. TRA's). This showed stuff as far afield as Southampton, Newark, Norwich and Waddington. No mention of Wyton's TRA for the Red Arrows though! Arrgghhh!

Last edited by gpn01; 1st Aug 2006 at 21:17.