PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lagos & malaria
Thread: Lagos & malaria
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2002, 08:55
netsrak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I was living in los for about 8 months. This may shock some of you out there, but I didn't take any medication what-so-ever (don't get me wrong, I don't have that "it can't happen to me" additude). From what I've learned, *anti-malaria pills* (key word here, "anti") only increase your immunity to the disease, it doesn't ensure immunity. Moreoever, some of that medication is some pretty serious stuff, almost as bad as having malaria itself (I'm just being sarcastic on that one, so don't flame me!). My advise to you is, research as much as possible on the medication you've been prescribed and make your own conclusions. As your doctor plenty of questions. More or less all of the expats I've talked to that have been there any length of time (actually, all of them from the ones I've talked to) don't even take medication. Complacency...? Perhaps.

As for asking a Nigerian doctor, the general additude towards malaria there is just to get it, and get "immune" to it. They seem to treat it like any old flu! I've actually gotten bit countless times, and that's even taking safety precautions like repelant, air conditioning, etc.

Anywho, there's my two cents. Anyone care to endulge us on your first thoughts on Nigeria when you first got there? ...Did you see V.I.?