PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A 380 (Merged)
Thread: A 380 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2006, 12:39
Globaliser
Too mean to buy a long personal title

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by barryt
One argument has always been that there isn't really a market to accomodate enough of them in the air. And it's a valid one. Except it assumes the kinds of pax will remain the same. And the fares will remain roughly the same. I believe a new "thing" is starting, and it's rather subtle. I believe more and more people are going to begin flying (people who perhaps previously couldn't afford to), and the era of "low cost international carriers" is upon us. I really believe there is a subtle change taking place in "pax profile", for want of a better word.
Even so, remember that BA's strengths are not in cultivating the low-fare low-yield passenger. There will always be a place for that part of the market in BA's aircraft, and BA has in the past suffered from positively ignoring and despising it. But BA's strengths abide in the cabins for which big bucks are paid. Even though BA needs some low-fare pax, getting A380s now will force BA to positively chase the low-fare market: That, I think, would be financially disastrous for the airline.