PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Suspensions / Mt Cook Airlines
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2006, 10:00
Raw Data

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm this is interesting!

Just a few points...

In the sleepy Nz backwater, there is a little industrial law that stops any business from making people redundant and then employing others to fill the void. Makes sense ey! Mt Cook will NOT be closed down, Simple.
There is absolutely NO law that prevents a company from closing down and making it's workers redundant, and then another company offering them employment. That is all that MOR is talking about. It has been done before, and it will be done again.

if in this case, MOR is simply playing the devil's advocate, then there are some good points within the lines.
I absolutely agree. Some people here need to wake up and smell the sewerage. He isn't against the Mt Cook pilots and he isn't "dissenting". He is simply pointing out the realities of the situation. If you don't want to listen, fine, but his points are sound. The way in which some of you get all abusive if somebody disagrees with the "accepted wisdom" is a terrible reflection of the entrenched attitudes in NZ aviation. Believe it or not, overseas experience is a real eye-opener... most Kiwi pilots who go overseas never see NZ aviation in the same way ever again. It's a different world when you play with the big boys.

Asymetric Pete says "the dispute is about pay and training" also says "its a philosophical debate in negotiations" Philosphical what....does that mean money and giving the pilots the same as other Air New Zealand pilots?
No, it doesn't. He is talking about what MOR was talking about, namely setting up a situation where, should the pilots lose the fight, the company can set the agenda for the next ten years of negotiations. The Mt Cook pilots have put themselves in a position where they simply cannot back down without it costing them much more than what is under dispute. The company wants to weaken the unions to allow further cuts along the track.

Does this sound familiar? Ansett NZ? 89? How did they work out for the pilots?

It isn't being a "dissenter" or any other negative term when you point out the truth of the situation.

As MOR said... it is all about being smart, and picking your fights.

And before anyone has a go at me, I wholeheartedly support the Mt Cook pilots and would be happy to help them in their fight - I'd happily stand on a picket line with them, just tell me where and when.