PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON
Thread: MANSTON
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2006, 07:41
deedave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would certainly be interesting to read about Easyjet and Ryanair startup, although these are different airlines, in another location, and another century.

Thanet itself is littered with the corpses of previous transport ventures which did not last.

A seafront railway station, a Ramsgate airport, a river ferry, Sally cross-channel passenger ferry, Pegwell hoverport, Ramsgate hoverport, and a variety of Manston ventures.

Recently I was surprised to read archive local press from the 1980's trumpeting Manston as an imminent potential success, and a viable new London airport. Clearly this nonsense has been going on for longer than I realised.

Expert knowledge of the aviation business is a valuable thing to have, but an understanding of the character of East Kent is more important when assessing Manston.
While it is true that there is no widespread opposition to Manston, neither is there widespread active support. Most people simply don't give a toss, no matter what politicians and the local press might try and tell you.

Thanet is not, and never has been, a "transport hub".

Yes, one could always say "give it time", but time for what?

Time for oil prices to rise?
Time for greater global instability?
Time for environmental opposition to gain momentum?
Time for more virus mutation?
Time for competing airports to develop their services?

People in the aviation business are understandably desperate to put aircraft into the sky, and there are plenty of billionaires who find aeroplanes sufficiently sexy to squander their money on them.
From that point of view, Manston may have some kind of future as a 'vanity airport', but it's chances of full commercial viability are slim because of it's location.

Incidentally, anyone who can do Thanet to central London by road in 2 hours is VERY lucky.
Roadworks and accidents are the norm, not the exception.
I always allow 4 hours before any appointment, and if I manage it in 3, I get myself a nice coffee and read the paper for an hour.