PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ Heli Pilots pay
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2006, 04:11
bell hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear…

Perhaps, but your info doesn’t sound any better than mine… so I am assuming that you have a little inside knowledge of pay scales, AS355 (down on the South Island) paying $75K…. you have to be dreaming, maybe a few years ago? Only the very last of the old brigade (Tourism holdings days and before the “quick fall” in pay scales) would be getting any ware close to that. But are they really? As the flight and duty day has a CAA approved extension for 14 hours every now and then plus a fully worked new manual allowing a 6 day on 1 day off roster (as apposed to the old 5 and 2) and don’t forget all the benefits that have had the “Magic’s” wand waved over them to make them disappear… as for starting on $54K I don’t think so mate, what about the 1500 hour pilot who started on $30K. That company has gone from the top echelon to the bottom rung… just ask the chief pilot (oh, that’s right he left). Feelerup, what about the MD500 that is operating around the southern lakes area, and the pilot who is flying it getting paid less than a living wage… its kind of like a sweat shop for Helicopter pilots. But I can’t really blame the operators or the industry (for poor conditions) you have to blame pilots who will accept less.... and yes there are a few good jobs in New Zealand that pay OK (not really good) but if you took an average across the industry it would be vary sad indeed.