PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 ground steering
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2006, 02:29
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
paulkinm said;

Right, so there is an element of steer sharing? A bit tricky to get used to I suppose.
Not really. Transitioning from one system to the other takes a little bit of getting used to, but other than that it's easy.

For example, years ago I transitioned from the DH8 (+7 degrees of nose wheel steering throught the rudder pedals) to the BAe146 with no nosewheel steering through the rudder pedals. My training capt (Capt Bloggs in the LHS) couldn't work out why I was feeding in lots of rudder on line up, which is what happened in the Dash. But it didn't take all that long to come to terms with.

As alluded to above, in the BAe146 with no nosewheel steering input from the rudder pedals, the tiller was used for directional control until the rudder became effective, at about 60ish knots. Personally, I kept my hand on the tiller until the 80kt call, just in case, and on landing would guard the tiller from about 80kts on deceleration, though the rudder would remain effective till 60kt or less.

Transitioning from the BAe146 to the B717 (+17 degrees nosewheel steering), there was a period of time required to get used to NOT guarding the tiller during take-off.