PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The scene is set - incl Low Flying rules and Is there a 'cultural divide'?
Old 31st Jul 2006, 21:08
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royston & Whirlygig
The 60 metres proviso in Rule 5(3)(i) doesn’t apply to helicopters landing and taking off. (Whirlygig – see the Note at the end of your link.)

Royston & Bravo73
It’s Rule 5 of the Rules of the Air, not the ANO.

Bravo73
Whether or not the site is licensed is irrelevant to Rule 5(3)(a)(ii).
Royston didn’t land in a car park full of cars. I’m puzzled why you’ve brought up again an allegation which has turned out to be false.
IMHO it would be an odd (and unfair) state of affairs if a pilot found himself in breach of Rule 5 by failing to obtain prior consent from a land-owner if there’s no legal requirement that he must do so.
That said, it’s the sort of argument which the CAA might advance. Given that the CAA writes the regulations (which then pass formally through Parliament without any consideration of the necessity for a particular rule or the form in which it’s written), if it thinks prior permission should be a legal requirement, it should be included in the Regulations IMHO - so that the position is clear.

ShyTorque
"It was the only time a helicopter has landed at the property.
So it appears the landing was NOT in accordance with normal aviation practice.”
I disagree.
I was going to make the same point as Gaseous until I saw you withdrew it in response to his question.
I entirely agree pilots should ask for permission to land, for the reasons you give and as a matter of courtesy.
Re someone’s helicopter in your drive. I’d be very angry if someone parked their car in my drive without permission, but they wouldn’t have committed a criminal offence.

Nikkyg v
Some people, not everybody.

Rotorvision98
I hope your post was a joke in bad taste rather than fact.
If it’s a fact, it’s a sad day for the Rotorheads forum IMHO.

Tailboom
You're probably right that the chances of a civilian helicopter pilot who's polite and courteous encountering a problem are slim, but there's no shortage of people even inside the UK aviation world who seem to get pleasure from causing trouble for others. Couple that with the fact that the CAA isn't above prosecuting trivia and it's not worth taking a chance.

FL

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 31st Jul 2006 at 21:23.