PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The scene is set - incl Low Flying rules and Is there a 'cultural divide'?
Old 31st Jul 2006, 19:19
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaseous
Shyt
Are you seriously suggesting that we can only land somewhere someone else has landed before???
Its normal practice for me to land in places that an aircraft has never knowingly landed before. I have loads of them in my log book. Thats why I bought a helicopter.
No, of course not, I do it almost every week, in a five tonner. It's just NOT a good idea to pitch up on someone's private property with a helicopter without checking if the landowner is happy for it to happen.

If I had a piece of land on the edge of a village, I would feel quite aggrieved if someone just landed in it because he fancied a drink at the pub next door, especially if my car risked gravel rash because of it. I would feel the same if someone pitched up and parked his car on my drive! Wouldn't you? If not, just post the grid ref.

I'm surprised anyone would think a helicopter is any different. Even at a hotel with a helipad, I wouldn't dream of landing without obtaining advance permission.