PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 ground steering
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2006, 13:17
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
paulkinm

I can't speak to the B737 or 747 but in general terms, there should be no technical restriction to using the tiller once the nose wheel is on the ground.

However, tiller control can range in different types from sloppy to very sensitive. For example, the DH6 has an extremely sensitive tiller, fixed to the control column, and operated by the left hand from the left seat, much like the windscreen wiper/turn indicator stalk on modern motor cars. I've heard of one Twotter that left an island runway for the scrub, due to too much tiller input when travelling too fast.

Rudder control for steering is usually more than satisfactory during deceleration to a relatively slow speed ~ 60-40ish knots. Further, many aeroplanes have a level of nosewheel steering via the rudder pedals, eg, DH8 + 7 degrees, B717 + 17 degrees.

In my career I've operated tillers:
  • Control column mounted (DH6)
  • Like the 747 (above) fwd for right, aft for left. (Mohawk 298)
  • Tiller mounted on capt's left, left for left, right for right. (DH8 & BAe146)
  • Steering wheel mounted on pedastal to left of capt, used in the same fashion as the steering wheel in a motor car. (B717)

edit for typo

Last edited by Capt Claret; 31st Jul 2006 at 13:39.