PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lokilokia?
Thread: Lokilokia?
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2001, 11:13
Max Torque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hiya Wiz.
That sounds to me like the ICRC Flying Circus out of Lokichokkio, or Loki as it’s called. They have a B200 (did it have a cargo pod ?), a Twotter and the turbine Caribou, which is a DHC5A Buffalo. They would have been coming in from Sudan, not Chad, so Foxtel would seem to be wide of the mark.
The Kingair is operated by Aviation Assistance of Denmark, the Twotter by Rossair of South Africa and the Buffalo by Sky Relief of Zimbabwe. The work is certainly challenging. Dangerous…..well the co-pilot on the B200 was killed by ground fire earlier this year and the Buffalo was damaged in a bombing raid last year while on the ground in Southern Sudan. A few years back the Twotter and its crew and pax were held for a few weeks by one of the factions, so a certain amount of sh** happens. Not a posting that usually generates great enthusiasm from the rels.
If I had to do it all over again, I would go for the Buffalo. There are also 1-2 of them operated by ALS of Nairobi, Kenya based in Loki, and flying for UN/WFP. I would go and talk to them. The Buffalo (which I have unfortunately never flown) has got to be one of the greatest aircraft ever made.
SAFAIR and Transafrique also have 3-4 C130’s with the WFP, same location, doing air drops in Southern Sudan, if you’re ex mil. Trackmark of Nairobi have Caravans along with Kingair Services. And then there are the Russians…….couldn’t tell you about them. Don’t even know where they go.
Rossair’s Twotter is on Kenyan regs – Rossair live at Lanseria, SA.
Aviation Assistance probably has enough crew thanks to 9/11 and the general slow down in Europe and Scandinavia.
If you really want to do this, you need your head checking, but then so do the rest of us.
Good luck.
MT