PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Worth of NVQs / Recruiting Ex-servicemen vs Youngsters
Old 30th Jul 2006, 13:01
seafuryfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Worth of NVQs / Recruiting Ex-servicemen vs Youngsters

Hello,

I'm a (non-graduate) RAF ALM, having served for about 25 years or so, recently completing an NVQ L5 in Operations Management. I'm also half-way through a L4 in Learning & Development.

1. I've no immediate plans to leave, but would appreciate replies about how much weight NVQs carry in todays job market. I'd also be interested to know if there's been an attitude shift in the job market with regard to employing someone with an 'over-arching' (sorry ) skill set, as hopefully demonstrated by NVQs. After such a long time with one employer, it really feels like probing into the unknown...

2. How competitive do you think older people like me are in todays job market when up against young thrusters? I know that with my 'life' experience (dealing with people, sand in my shreddies, problem solving etc) I can probably sell myself well enough. But I wonder how that would fare against the fresh out of uni, massively qualified person.

Thoughts from those with recent experience in job-hunting or in recruiting will be especially welcome.

BTW, my NVQ assessor seems to think that a L5 is the dogs bo**ocks The cynical serviceman in me thinks 'Well, you would think that, wouldn't you mate!', while the fluffy side thinks 'Cor...I can, and I will!'.

Thanks