PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African Airlink - What are their future plans?
Old 22nd Dec 2001, 19:01
Avi8tor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having only recently stumbled onto this thread, I thought it was about time that I set some of the records str8. Nugpot seems to have some views on issues he seems to know little about.

I am interested to read his comments on the NLP & PZB operation. He goes on about 'WAT limit tables' vs. 'Computed Obs Clearance RTOW Tables. He obviously never has seen the computed RTOW tables in either the J41 or the ERJ.

The computer program considers the ASDA, TODA & TORA, Slope and Obstacles. It then comes up with the RTOW and the restricting factor, i.e. Field, WAT, OBS Clearance or BE. The Aircraft Manufacturer supplies both computer programs.

The only jippo for NLP is that the landing distance is factored as an alternate, not a destination. This is done with the CAA approval. On both runways for PZB all obstacles are considered. There is an IMC flight path designed & practiced in the sim on both initial & recurrent training. I think that most people forget that there was a prototype J41 here in SA, doing water-meth trials, all under the eye of the then DCA. Sorry for all the Dash late drivers, the J41 is just that much hotter.

Interesting comment about the ‘power by the hour’ and RR audits. RR gets the engine data on all 4 ERJ’s 2x a week. The FADEC data is downloaded & emailed to RR. (Clever stuff is FADEC). In discussion with our Chief Engineer, he said that the engine history is totally within RR parameters. It may interest you to know that 95% of all our T/O’s are at reduced thrust. However, he is right, if X% of our T/O’s are at Max thrust, then there is a penalty.

I like the comments on the 290/310 vs. 350/370. I also think the fuel burn on the ERJ is a little high, but performance come at a cost somewhere. I had to smile about his comment about ‘staying out of the wind’, I think that’s simply sour grapes that the CRJ’s engines are poked & SAX can’t afford the bucks to get them fixed. (That’s me having a cheap dig, sorry….J)

As for the ex Link guys at SAX. ‘Quite a few’ is 3, if my memory serves me correctly. All of which jumped ship 4 or more years ago. So they would have little or no knowledge of the current state of Training or Operations at Airlink.
(In my humble opinion, I would only want the ‘lawyer’ back flying with me. The other 2 you can keep.)

It will interest you to know that SAA it totally happy with the standard of training at Airlink. The ex-head of the cadet scheme is rated on the J41. He flew regularly on check rides with the cadets. Also in the Delta Code Share Audit that was held last year we received mostly positive comment on the operation. In fact, the B767 fleet captain that went on the jump seat to NLP was mighty impressed. Said something about it was ‘like being back in the navy….’

I think at the crux of the whole SAX/Link debate is the issue that SAX has never managed to grow beyond its 12 aircraft. In the same period, Airlink has grown from 9 to 20 (soon to be 21) aircraft. This had been achieved without taxpayer’s money!!! Also SAX is largely an ex 21sqn retirement home. They bring a whole lot of different baggage with them. I hope in the merged airline the Airlink management style remains.

With all that off my chest, I look forward to the merger, it won’t be without its challenges. The industry is in for a hard ride next year. It has already started with the cutting of routes & 20 pilot jobs at Comair. The merger is the only sustainable way forward for both SAX & Link.

All I do hope is that we as the pilots, get our sh*t together, and work out all the differences soon. I don’t want management telling us how its gonna be. I hope that both Len & Phil get our total support at this.

[ 22 December 2001: Message edited by: Avi8tor ]</p>