PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reds exit display
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2006, 09:17
'Chuffer' Dandridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of points here..

Glider pilots, IMHO, seem to have their own agenda when it comes to where and when they can fly. I'm sure this will ruffle a few feathers among the glider pilots on here, but maybe they have their own version of the ANO, which probably goes something like this:

Rule 1 - Glider pilots are always right.

Rule 2 - See Rule 1

Rule 3 - You cant fly the Tug unless you are a glider pilot, even if you have 5000 hrs on type..

Rule 4 - Only Silver C to PPL conversions can fly the tug, even if they are over 80 yrs of age..

Before anyone says it, this is not sour grapes. (I've served my tugging sentence thank you), but merely my observations and experience of the gliding fraternity in the UK over a 20 yr period. Those glider pilot members of my own flying club are brilliant at telling people how good they are..

Secondly, Why not disband the Red Arrows (must cost a whole lot of much needed cash to run ever year), and have a smaller team in line with our smaller 'Tony Bliar style' RAF. How about a formation of four red Tucanos? That way, they wouldnt need to take up so much sky, and a TRA wouldn't be required, and they would have to keep their eyes open like I have to when I do any formation flying! Or can I apply for a TRA when I fly a big formation around the skies?