PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2006, 06:42
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Walter

“A contrived trial of the (112) system”

I have no doubt whatsoever that what you talk of is technically possible. I have myself overseen the placing of trials nav kit on top of a jockinese mountain with carry-on kit in the helo. But, very importantly, I would not have received approval to do it on such an operational flight, and no-one in their right mind would have authorised anything similar given the nature of ZD576’s last flight. A proper Trials Plan has to be submitted and approved well in advance. People have to be trained. Practice runs. Factory testing. And so on. Yes, it is possible, but so many people from within and outside the MoD must be party to it, and sign approvals, that it would be almost impossible to hide. Especially if, as you say, the a/c kit had to be fitted, not just carried. To prove your theory would require documentation which the MoD could quite legitimately have destroyed long ago.

If it were a Boscombe aircraft (that is, a PE Fleet aircraft not belonging to the RAF), flying under their rules, I would say such a trial would be easier; but it wasn’t. Not least because Boscombe had declined to fly the Mk2 at that time. May I suggest this is a better line of attack in a campaign which, after all, is not trying to find out what happened, but whose main aim is to gain acceptance that there exists doubt as to the cause.

I cannot say you are 100% wrong. But it is an unnecessary complication which you will find impossible to prove by your own efforts. And because the system you talk of requires operator input at both ends, you are in effect making a case to support the AVMs. But because what you suggest is technically feasible, it may find favour in a separate thread.

All the best